Re: How can I concatenate elements

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119860] Re: How can I concatenate elements
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 06:26:17 -0400 (EDT)

What you ask doesn't quite make sense! The entries in s1 are numbers;
the entries in s2 are symbols (or possibly symbols that have been given
values of some type or other - numbers, strings, lists, whatever).

So in the list you want as result, what, for example, does the entry 1c
even mean?

Do you want the _number_ 1 to be made into a one-character string, the
_symbol_ (or value of that symbol) c to be made into a string, and then
the two strings concatenated?

If so, the following will do it:

   ss1 = ToString /@ s1;
   ss2 = ToString /@ s2;
   Flatten@Transpose@Outer[StringJoin, ss1, ss2]

If not, please explain further what the objects actually are and what
kind of entries you want s3 to have.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305