BinaryRead question

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg119871] BinaryRead question
  • From: Ted Sariyski <tsariysk at>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 07:31:18 -0400 (EDT)

I have data which are available both in ASCII and binary formats.
Importing ASCII data is really slow, between 3 and 5 minutes and I have
many files. I tried BinaryRead but I need help here. Binary data
consists of records. The first 32     bytes are the variable name,
followed by numberOfPoints real*4. The first record in the file is
numberOfPoints (integer*4):

var1 dataVar1(1:numberOfPoints)
var2 dataVar2(1:numberOfPoints)
Data are stored on Linux x86_64  machine in big-endian byte order.
Could someone provide a template how the code should look like, please?

I have another related question.  I was thinking to use pipe
(BinaryRead["!readData",...]), but I am confused because Mathematica is
running on Windows7 and data are on Unix. I see two options: 1) to
compile readData on Windows, or 2) to execute readData remotly e.g. "ssh
remoteMachine  readData dataFn". I prefer the second way because i
already have utilities to handle these data on Unix. Is there a document
which provides examples for this type of data import?

Thanks in advance,