Re: Export a Grid[] object without loosing it's format

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119876] Re: Export a Grid[] object without loosing it's format
  • From: Sebastian Mansfeld <sebastian.mansfeld at googlemail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 07:32:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Jun 23, 1:27 pm, Cupidio <andreatacche... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am experiencing some problems when I try to export to a PDF file a
> Grid[] object. The grid is quite big, with graphics, text and other
> grids nested in it. It is perfectly formatted within the mathematica
> notebook, but when I export it to PDF it becomes a complete mess. Also
> "printing" to PDF doesn't work.
>
> Is there a way to have it exported exactly as it looks like within the
> notebook, in a PDF or EPS file?
>
> I got some results by exporting it to a BMP file, specifing the size
> with ImageSize, but the file produced is too big, and that's not
> vector graphics! And it seems that I can't use ImageSize when
> exporting to PDF...

As an alternative to Grid[] I would like to suggest using Inset[] to
put more than one object into a graphic.
For example:

Plot[-10, {x, 0, 1}, AspectRatio -> Height/Width, Axes -> False,
 PlotRange -> {{-1, 1}, {-1, 1}}, Frame -> True, FrameTicks -> None,
 Epilog -> {Inset[Plot1, {0,0}]}]

This creates a white background and puts the plot Plot1 in the middle
of this. With additional Inset commands it is possible to place as
many objects as desired at given coordinates.
This is certainley not used as intended, but so far works perfectly
for me.