Re: what's in a name? (legal and conventional constructions of identifiers)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119896] Re: what's in a name? (legal and conventional constructions of identifiers)
  • From: DrMajorBob <btreat1 at austin.rr.com>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 07:57:04 -0400 (EDT)

I start every variable with a small letter and each subsequent word with a
capital, as in

thisVariableName

Hence, any variable in my notebooks that starts with a capital is
built-in, and the others are mine. I don't have to remember which are
which.

I try to use descriptive names that state the variable's purpose without
going to more than eight or ten characters. Or I stick to one-letter
names, when descriptive names don't seem necessary.

I never use Greek, Latin, special characters, or subscripts in variable
names.

I don't use the letter "l" unless it's part of a word like "list", so that
I can easily tell that it isn't "1". In this e-mail font they may look
different, but in other fonts they often do not... or not to old eyes, at
least.

If you want subscripts and Greek in the display of an equation, you can do
that WITHOUT using subscripted variables or Greek letters in variable
names, as in:

Sum[m[i], {i, 10}] == 1 /. m[i_] :> Subscript[\[Mu], i]

There are other ways to do this, but the point is that I don't clutter my
code with special characters. One advantage is that copy/paste from
Mathematica to e-mail works smoothly and yields easily readable code
(mostly).

Bobby

DrMajorBob at yahoo.com