Re: FinancialData Function Not Working for Property "Members"

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg116855] Re: FinancialData Function Not Working for Property "Members"
  • From: mmausr <opngid at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 04:36:19 -0500 (EST)

On Feb 28, 5:51 am, Tyler <hayes.ty... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Not sure if it's the same thing, but I know S&P had some restrictions
> placed on access to their data via third parties recently. Something
> to do with licensing and extra costs if you wanted the full deal. For
> example, check out the caveat ThomsonReuters puts out for supplying
> data from companies like Standard & Poor's.
>
> http://thomsonreuters.com/3ptyterms/
>
> I confess, it would be nice to hear an official comment one way or
> another regarding the issue, be it temporary, or permanent.
>
> Cheers,
>
> t.

Just checked the Yahoo Finance homepage and clicked on Dow which opens
a page where one can click on Components to get a list of the member
stocks.  When clicking instead on S&P500, a similar page appears, but
the choice for Components is grey (not available).

One can go to S&P's homepage and sign up for an account;  the
components can then be downloaded as a spreadsheet.