Re: Any recommendations for new hardware (quadcore/GPUs)?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117058] Re: Any recommendations for new hardware (quadcore/GPUs)?
  • From: telefunkenvf14 <rgorka at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 06:55:42 -0500 (EST)

On Mar 8, 5:06 am, "Emilio Martin-Serrano Sobrino"
<emartinserr... at telefonica.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Good advice!
>
> I have just moving to new hardware, currently testing  a desktop Acer i5
> dual core, 3.2 GHz 64bits plus  4Gb RAM (Windows 7) with NVIDIA GForce 315 -
> 512Mb; I am a bit disappointed with the new desktop, since I  have not found
> much difference in performance in respect to my,  veteran but yet at work,
> HP 3.60 GHz, 32 bits plus  1Gb RAM (XP/SP3).  In particular the response to
> heavy use of dynamic devices (sliders, manipulators and others, which I
> sometimes use to trigger fairly entangled computations). I make heavy use of
> Dynamic and I thought that this  new machine was going to solve some
> significant performance problems tied to the feature IMHO.
>
> I  gather from what you say that RAM is, with Mathematica,  far more
> important than CPU (is this that with Dynamic too), and  so I might go
> beyond the 4 Gb RAM;  and that the  GForce 315 - 512Mb  card the Acer I5
> brings (yet  with CUDA & OpenCL support) would be not enough either. Since I
> am to return the brand new Acer to the dealer, (Acer, or maybe the dealer,
> advertised the machine had 6Gb RAM instead of the 4Gb it actually has), I
> would tray another  machine with larger configuration.

(1) 4GB of RAM is plenty. If you're filling up a bunch of ram (due to
data Import, for example), then you probably should be using functions
like OpenRead[] and/or utilize Mathematica's ability to connect to databases.
(2). A solid state hard-drive is worth the investment, especially for
laptops. (your laptop is probably too old to accept one...).
(3) *****No amount of hardware upgrading can overcome inefficient