Re: Wolfram, meet Stefan and Boltzmann

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117468] Re: Wolfram, meet Stefan and Boltzmann
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 05:21:02 -0500 (EST)

In article <ilvev1$eur$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Uayeb <uayebswinburne at gmail.com> wrote:

> Unless I've missed it, AES has not commented on whether subsequent
> evaluations of the integral are any faster, or if this happens
> everytime s/he restarts the kernal, which might be more interesting.

1)  I thought I noted in an early post that subsequent evaluations are
essentially instantaneous -- in any event they are.

2)  I suppose I'm "restarting the kernel", but in mac terminology what I
actually do to produce this -- and it seems to be totally repeatable --
is to Quit Mathematica, then restart it, either by clicking the Mathematica icon
in the Doc, or dbl-clicking the test notebook.

3)  Most recently I Quit and restarted Mathematica, typed in three cells
containing 1+1, then the integral of x / (e^x - 1), then the integral of
x^3 / (e^x - 1), then selected all three cells (Cmd-A), then evaluated.
First cell took negligible time; second cell took 5 seconds; third cell
took the standard 19 seconds.

What can I say? -- that's what I see happen, and a few others apparently
do also.