Re: and color via PlotStyle

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg118553] Re: and color via PlotStyle
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr at cox.net>
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 05:43:16 -0400 (EDT)

I believe that more than one person have suggested use of Evaluate.

Plot[Evaluate[{a x, a x^2, a x^3} /. {a -> 1}], {x, 0, 2},
 PlotStyle -> {Red, Green, Blue}]

Bob Hanlon

---- Dushan Mitrovich <dushanm at spinn.net> wrote:

=============
Helen Read wrote:
> On 4/30/2011 5:51 AM, AES wrote:

>>> Exactly as it should.
>>>
>> The statement "Exactly as it _should_" is open to discussion here.
>>
>> Consider an "ordinary user" (a user attempting to use Mathematica to do
>> some simple but useful task) who is at a level of sophistication where
>> he/she understands the Plot command; how to use it to plot a List of
>> functions {f1,f2,f3}; the use of simple PlotStyles; and the use of the
>> "\." syntax =AD=AD but has never had to encounter the concepts of Hold or
>> Evaluate.
>>
>> After all, having a rudimentary understanding of Plot, PlotStyle, the \=2E
>> syntax, and lists (which are all relatively simple, understandable,
>> learnable commands that do familiar things) permits this user to do many
>> useful tasks =AD=AD and to do themwithout ever having any interaction with
>> the much more complex and arcane (and much less standard or familiar in
>> ordinary life) concepts of Hold and Evaluate.
>>
>> This mythical user might then well be forgiven for thinking that the two
>> commands
>>
>>      a = 1;
>>      Plot[{ a x, a x^2, a x^3}, {x, 0, 2},
>>      PlotStyle ->   {Red, Green, Blue}]
>>
>>      Plot[{ a x, a x^2, a x^3}/. {a ->   1}, {x, 0, 2},
>>      PlotStyle ->   {Red, Green, Blue}]
>>
>> _should_ do exactly the same thing, except that the first form will also
>> obviously leave a assigned the value 1 in subsequent cells.
>>
>> But of course, this is not what happens, and so the user who uses the
>> second form (perhaps doing so for compactness, or perhaps wanting to
>> make a test Plot of their List without setting a to a fixed value)
>> encounters another of the copious supply of puzzling Mathematica
>> "gotchas".
>>
>> I'm not arguing that this outcome is in some sense "wrong", or in any
>> way a bug.  There may be -- probably are -- deep reasons, buried deep in
>> the logic and design of Mathematica, as to why Plot has to function in
>> this way (or maybe an unnecessary design decision was made that Plot
>> would function in this way to simplify other aspects of Mathematica
>> programming?).
>>
>> But it's still unfortunate that it does operate this way.  Would you
>> (and maybe Helen ??? in Washington) really want to argue that high
>> school students, or freshman students in college, should have to first
>> go through a tutorial in Hold and Evaluate (and maybe also HoldAll,
>> HoldFirst, NHoldAll, HoldAllComplete, HoldRest, SequenceHold, Extract,
>> and Unevaluated) before they could start plotting Lists using Plot?
>>
> Oh, please. Nobody needs to go through all that "before they could start
> plotting Lists using  Plot".
>
> My beginning students plot lists all the time. Normally they do it by
> defining functions first, for whatever it is they are plotting.
>
> f[x_]:=x
> g[x_]:=x^2
> h[x_]:=x^3
>
> Plot[{f[x],g[x],h[x]},{x,0,2},PlotStyle ->  {Red, Green, Blue}]

> [...]

So far everybody has been talking about whether the behavior is reasonable
or unreasonable to expect, but nobody has (AFAIK) done the obvious, namely
stated the solution to the question: Just how does one get
differently-colored curves when using the '/.{a->1}'?

I am a near-beginner, have run into the problem myself, and have been reading
the thread hoping to learn the solution.  No luck.

- Dushan