Re: Mathematica 8: Shortcut Ctrl+Tab for switching between notebooks?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg118625] Re: Mathematica 8: Shortcut Ctrl+Tab for switching between notebooks?
  • From: Stefan Salanski <wutchamacallit27 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 19:48:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Apr 28, 6:33 am, Martin Harborth <martin.harbo... at yahoo.de> wrote:
> Dear Istv=E1n,
>
> I tried it today again.
>
> One only has to add the following lines to the
> "KeyEventTranslations.tr" file in order to have the Ctrl+Tab
> key working in the front end of Mathematica 8 as in Mathematica 4:
>
> Item[KeyEvent["Tab", Modifiers -> {Control}],
> FrontEndExecute[FrontEndToken["CycleNotebooksForward"]]]
>
> But this is really undocumented by Wolfram Research, I wonder
> why ...
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Best regards,
> Martin.
>
> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Betreff: Re: Mathematica 8: Shortcut Ctrl+Tab for switching
> between notebooks?
> Von: Istv=E1n Zachar <z... at freemail.hu>
> Datum: 24.04.2011 14:26
>

> > Dear Martin,
>
> > as far as I know, there is no handy way to reassign a shortcut key
> > combination to window swtiching *inside* Mathematica.
> > However, it is possible to use external applications, that register
> > clicks and key hits, and call arbitrary functions: one particularly
> > fitting is AutoHotkey:
>
> >http://www.autohotkey.com/
>
> > My personal solution is to assign the Win+Tab key to send Ctrl+F6 to
> > Mathematica (and change between Mathematica windows), and by this way,
> > I can rely on Alt+Tab as well to change between other windows and
> > Mathematica.
> > The AutoHotkey language is easy like hell, but since this is a
> > Mathematica forum, I won't flood it with example code. Email me if you
> > need further help.
>
> > Istvan
>
> > On Apr 22, 11:41 am, Martin Harborth <martin.harbo... at yahoo.de> wrote:
> >> Dear Mathematica Gurus,
>
> >> I'm using Mathematica 8 and I was searching today in the
> >> Internet but I did not find a solution for the following
> >> "problem":
>
> >> I really don't like the unhandy shortcut Ctrl+F6 for switching
> >> between open notebooks. Because on a Windows system I'm used
> >> to the convenient shortcut Ctrl+Tab for the same functionality
> >> in a lot of different applications.
>
> >> Is it really not possible to customize Mathematica key
> >> bindings in order to have the same shortcut in Mathematica 8?
>
> >> Best regards,
> >> Martin.

Martin,
  Thanks for posting that, I had no idea those files existed in an
editable format, and in Mathematica style code too!
  I tried to implement what you said by placing that line into my
KeyEventTranslations.tr file, but with no effect. I have of course
restarted mathematica, though not my computer entirely. Do you have
any ideas why this is not working? The lack of documentation for this
is indeed frustrating. My system information is below if it helps.
{"8.0 for Microsoft Windows (64-bit) (February 23, 2011)", "8.0.1.0 \
(2063988, 2063803)"}
Thanks,
-Stefan S