Replace unevaluated symbols

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg118857] Replace unevaluated symbols
  • From: Antonio De Juárez <adejuarez at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 06:27:41 -0400 (EDT)

Given an expression like

{x+y,2*x-y}

I would like to replace x and y with some values even if these
variables have some value assigned. For example, the code

expr = Hold[x+y,2x-y]
expr/.x->3

produces

Hold[3 + y, 2*3 - y]

but the code

x=2.5;
expr = Hold[x+y,2x-y]
expr/.x->3

produces the wrong result

Hold[x + y, 2 x - y]

I know this can be done using Block; however, I don't know the
variables to be replaced beforehand. I would like to have a function
with attribute HoldAll like

fun[expr,var1,value1,var2,value2,...]

that replaces the variables var1, var2, ... by the corresponding
values value1, value2,..., even if any of the variables var1, var2,...
has a preassigned value.