Re: and color via PlotStyle

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg118853] Re: and color via PlotStyle
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 06:26:58 -0400 (EDT)

On 5/12/11 at 9:27 AM, btreat1 at austin.rr.com (DrMajorBob) wrote:

>>there has to be a decision made as to whether multiple curves
>>represent distinct functions to have distinct styles by default or
>>multiple branches of one function to be plotted all in the same
>>style.

>Already true, and the current solution is to use Evaluate... which
>cannot work if the plot function involves Part, NIntegrate, or
>anything else that can't be evaluated while the argument is symbolic.

You are quite correct that you cannot do something like

Plot[NIntegrate[{expr1,expr2,expr},{x,a,
100}]//Evaluate,{a,0,10}] and get multiple styles.

But I doubt for something like this, the issue of a single style
vs multiple styles would arise. If the unless the expressions
are pretty simple, the execution time for this Plot will be
terrible. And if the expressions are fairly simple, then it
should be possible to do

Plot[Integrate[{expr1,expr2,expr},{x,a,
100}]//Evaluate,{a,0,10}] which would allow multiple styles.

Unless you have a very fast machine or a lot of patience, doing

Plot[NIntegrate[... isn't a good way to do things for
non-trivial integrals. Execution time is going to be a far
bigger problem than multiple styles.