TeXForm: slight change in behaviour from version 7 to version 8

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg118936] TeXForm: slight change in behaviour from version 7 to version 8
  • From: "p.ramsden" <p.ramsden at imperial.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 07:45:10 -0400 (EDT)

I notice that expressions like

TeXForm["x"]

have changed their behaviour in Version 8, returning

"\\text{x}"

where they used to return simply

"x".

In other respects, TeXForm seems to behave much as before: for
example,

TeXForm["\[Alpha]"]

returns

"\\alpha"

in both cases.

This has affected some legacy code of mine a bit; it won't (I suspect)
be too hard to disentangle, but I wondered what the rationale was, and
whether it's likely to stay this way.