Re: Get["file.mx"] doesn't work

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg118954] Re: Get["file.mx"] doesn't work
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 07:48:25 -0400 (EDT)

Am 16.05.2011 13:28, schrieb Martin Vavpoti=C4=8D:
> My computer broke. I installed Mathematica on a laptop and I wanted to
> load the calculations I already made. I used the Get command and I got
> this:
>
> File Lensing_08_118_06_1e-3.mx cannot be loaded, it is corrupted or is
> written on a different machine
>
> Does this mean my backed up files are no good on a different computer?
> Do I need to make those files all over again?

mx, as the documentation says, is a machine and version dependent
format, it depends e.g. on OS and also differs for e.g. 32 vs. 64 bit
machines. It also does differ between various versions of mathematica. I
think your best bet is to find a machine with the same OS and Processor
type as your old machine running the same Mathematica version as your
old computer and convert to something machine independent, e.g. wdx.
Maybe in the future you also want to use machine independent formats,
although they are a little less efficient. Of course it could also be
that your files got corrupted, your old computer might have written
nonsense to disk before completley breaking down...

hth,

albert