Re: TeXForm: slight change in behaviour from version 7 to version 8

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119009] Re: TeXForm: slight change in behaviour from version 7 to version 8
  • From: "p.ramsden" <p.ramsden at imperial.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 07:44:35 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Themis,

Thanks for your response. I get what you're saying about the rationale
for the change; unfortunately, it doesn't apply to the way I use
TeXForm in the legacy code I'm concerned with here. Manual clear-up
isn't an option for me in that context, so what I really need, I think
is some sense of whether the new behaviour is likely to be stable. If
so, I'll build a work-around; if not, I'll sit tight, and just keep
using 7 for this task for now.

Just to repeat for other colleagues, because my OP is now less readily
visible: my query concerns the change in the behaviour of TeXForm from
v7 to v8. In v7,

TeXForm["x"]

returned the string "x"; in v8 it returns the string "\\text{x}". My
question is really whether this change is likely to be permanent, and
therefore whether I should change the legacy code into which the
change introduces a bug. All feedback gratefully appreciated.

Regards, Phil

PS Themis: the double backslashes thing is separate, and luckily
trivial. I was simply showing the output from TeXForm as explicitly
quoted strings, in which an explicit backslash is represented by "\\".
(You can see this if you wrap the standard output in an
InputForm[..].) So the Mathematica string "\\text{x}" just represents
the TeX expression \text{x}. Sorry this wasn't clear.