Re: Mathematica 8 Windows EMF/WMF export with transparent background?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119129] Re: Mathematica 8 Windows EMF/WMF export with transparent background?
  • From: Armand Tamzarian <mike.honeychurch at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 06:57:30 -0400 (EDT)

On May 21, 8:45 pm, Luci Ellis <l... at verbeia.com> wrote:
> Dear all
> I'm developing a custom plotting function for my employer,
> incorporating all the little tweaks and standard formats they want. So
> far, so good. But they want to export WMF or EMF graphics into
> PowerPoint presentations that (for technical reasons to do with the
> screen in the Board room) have dark backgrounds. So they want the
> graphics to have transparent backgrounds. But the backgrounds of
> graphics exported as WMF/EMF have white backgrounds, even though the
> default for Export is meant to be Background->None.
> Does anyone have any suggestions about how to enforce the transparent
> background? I am having difficulties testing this myself because I'm
> developing on a Mac (thus no WMF/EMF export capability), and at the
> moment they haven't upgraded their Windows versions from 7.0.
> Kind regards
> Luci

I have a Mac also, so cannot test WMF but the following formats worked
ok for me: i.e. from a coloured background notebook I saved plots and
imported them as transparent backgrounds into a blue background power
point slide: PDF, PNG, TIFF etc.

Note that a problem you may encounter with exporting a transparent
background is the effect that antialiasing has. With GIF you can set
"TransparentColor" -> GrayLevel[1] but on my system GIF gives a poor
quality result. Plot numbers are still antialiased so you see a white
"cloud" around the numbers.

tmp = Style[Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 6 Pi}, Background -> None],
  Antialiasing -> False]

Export["test.pdf", tmp, Background -> None]

PDF is probably a good option if you can convince them to import that
format.

Mike