Re: Very (very very) slow typing for Mathematica in large cells.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119166] Re: Very (very very) slow typing for Mathematica in large cells.
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 06:28:00 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

> I have some functions that are very long and complicated and which
> take up many lines of a single cell.  For one particularly long such
> function it can take about 3 second for EACH new character that I type
> to appear in the cell.  What ends up happening is I go type a
> sentence, wait a minute for it to appear on screen, then go back to do
> whatever editing of my typos.  Needless to say this is a bit
> aggravating.  I expect it is related to the various syntax checking
> features that Mathematica now has.  Features that I otherwise really like,
> actually.

That's of course a tremendous feature of Mathematica which tells you
that you should split up those monster cells :-)

> Does anyone know of any work around, or if this is only present on
> WinXP?  I have this problem in both 7 and 8.0.0, for both 32 and 64
> bit windowz, I believe.

I'm also still using Mathematica on WindowsXP, but have never seen this
happen. Are you sure everything is o.k. with your installation? How
large are those cells, e.g. in number of lines? You can switch off the
syntax coloring completely or just some of it. If switching it off
completely helps you might want to experiment and see if you find a
particular setting that makes your notebooks react slow and just disable
that.

But honestly (and seriously) I would rather invest some time in
disentangling your functions. That would not only make the interface
more responsive but also ease (or probably even make possible) the
maintenance of that code. And - be sure I would give you a hard time if
you'd try to persuade me that your code is so special that this isn't
possible...

hth,

albert