Pattern matching help

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119262] Pattern matching help
  • From: Chuck <chuck.cannon at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 06:13:48 -0400 (EDT)

I've been using Mathematica for a long time now but have always been a
bit frustrated with understanding the pattern matching syntax.

I noticed in the current thread about Position, where DrMajorBob
explains the difference between testing and pattern matching, that I
had never come across the syntax for testing before.

I have searched many times through the years for a clear explanation
about how to use the various testing and matching patterns but I have
never found one.  The help files in Mathematica are typically quite
helpful, if occasionally cryptic, but this one aspect has completely
stumped me for years.

I would like to improve my jinky little tricks that I use and make
full use of this feature.

Have I missed something obvious somewhere?  Can someone point me to a
clear explanation of how to use these various tests and matches?

Thanks,
Chuck