Re: Simple integral

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119260] Re: Simple integral
  • From: Stefan Salanski <wutchamacallit27 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 06:13:26 -0400 (EDT)

Your hand solution is simply the real part of Mathematica's solution.
(note that the real part of the Log of a negative number, is the log
of the absolute value.)
The imaginary part of the solution comes from integrating over the
singularities of the original function. Your function lends itself to
computation with a contour integral, and so it can be seen that when
one of the singularities is within your bounds of integration, there
is a pole in the complex plane and so the residue at that point must
be taken into account. See http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Contour.html .
Since these poles are the only source of the imaginary piece, a plot
of Im[ ] shows that its a step function.
Plot[{Re[fn[x] /. {b -> 3, c -> 2}], Im[fn[x] /. {b -> 3, c -> 2}]},
{x, -10, 10}]
So in practice, if you wanted to integrate from x1 to x2, where
neither singularity is in (x1,x2), Mathematica's answer gives you
exactly what your hand solution does (100% real). The only difference
is if you try to integrate with one or both of the singularities
inside (x1, x2) Mathematica also includes the imaginary part from the
contour integral (which is not an artifact or anything, its supposed
to be there). When you did it by hand, did you use complex analysis?
-Stefan S