MathGroup Archive 2011

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Re: Pure functions and Select[] sequential elements of list

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119311] Re: Pure functions and Select[] sequential elements of list
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 06:34:24 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks for the posts.  I think this is the part I am missing. 

When I do this:
mList = Range[10];
mList[[5]] = 9;
mList
mList = Split[mList, (#1 > #2) &]

I get:
{1, 2, 3, 4, 9, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10}
{{1}, {2}, {3}, {4}, {9, 6}, {7}, {8}, {9}, {10}}

So it appears Split[] considers #1 = mList[[N]]  and    #2 = mList[[N+1]].

However:
mList = Range[10];
mList[[5]] = 9;
mList
mList = Select[mList, (#1 > #2) &]

I get errors.
{1, 2, 3, 4, 9, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10}
Function::slotn: "Slot number 2 in #1>#2& cannot be filled from (#1>#2&)[1]".>>
General::stop: Further output of Function::slotn will be suppressed during this calculation. >>

Looks like pure functions are treated differently depending on which built in function is using them.  Not saying it is wrong.  Just explains confusion.  I am sure I used #N before.  I just didn't realize it was function dependent.

Sent: Sunday, May 29, 2011 11:45 AM
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
Cc: McHale, Paul
Subject: [mg119311] RE: [mg119298] Pure functions and Select[] sequential elements of list

I agree that this kind of functionality is not easily accessed in Mathematica.  It seems to be a common need that requires some obscure formulation to get the needed effect, at least so far as I have figured out. Here are two examples of what I use:

1. I sometimes use Partition[...] first to get this effect:

mList = Partition[{1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 6, 8}, 2, 1];
First /@ Select[mList, (#[[1]] > #[[2]]) &]

2. Pattern matching can also do the trick, though can be slow depending on the size of your task.

mList = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 6, 8};
ReplaceList[mList, Rule[{___, firstValue: _, secondValue: _, ___} /; (firstValue> secondValue), firstValue]]

Sent: Sunday, May 29, 2011 07:38
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
Subject: [mg119311] [mg119298] Pure functions and Select[] sequential elements of list

Hi,

Does anyone know of a way to use a pure function to access current and next element of list with uses like Select[]?  I know I might be dazed and confused, but I thought there was a way.  I.e.

mList={1,2,3,4,5,7,6,8};
Select[mList, (#? > #??)&]

Where #? Is element N and #?? Is element N+1.  I would expect the previous code (assuming N?, N?? were valid) to return 7.

Maybe there is no way to do this with a pure function.  I know there are many other ways.  This would be one more way to not require a looping construct to resolve this.  If someone knows of straightforward ways other than Table[] or For[], Do[]... looping contructs, I would appreciate it the general knowledge.  I constantly struggle against my C language beginning ;)

Best Regards,
Paul

Paul McHale  |  Electrical Engineer, Energetics Systems  |  Excelitas Technologies Corp.

Phone:   +1 937.865.3004   |   Fax:  +1 937.865.5170   |   Mobile:   +1 937.371.2828
1100 Vanguard Blvd, Miamisburg, Ohio 45342-0312 USA
Paul.McHale at Excelitas.com<mailto:Paul.McHale at perkinelmer.com>
www.excelitas.com<http://www.excelitas.com>

[cid:image001.png at 01CB9136.E3D96D90]

Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.
This email message and any attachments are confidential and proprietary to Excelitas Technologies Corp. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please inform the sender by replying to this email or sending a message to the sender and destroy the message and any attachments.
Thank you

• Prev by Date: Re: Pure functions and Select[] sequential elements of list
  • Next by Date: Re: Pure functions and Select[] sequential elements of list
  • Previous by thread: Re: Pure functions and Select[] sequential elements of list
  • Next by thread: Re: Pure functions and Select[] sequential elements of list