Re: Impossible to move objects in dynamic graphics

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg122668] Re: Impossible to move objects in dynamic graphics
  • From: Chris Hill <chill at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 04:47:05 -0500 (EST)

At 06:03 AM 11/4/2011, nicolas at virtualdynamics.fr wrote:
>Since version 8 it is no more possible to move objects with dynamic
>positions in a dynamic graphics.
>
>For example in the graphics below, the text and the point can be
>moved :
>
>p = {-.5, 0}; q = {.5, 0}; {Dynamic@p, Dynamic@q}
>Graphics[{Text["TEXT", Dynamic[p]], AbsolutePointSize[10],
>   Point[Dynamic[q]]}, PlotRange -> 1]
>
>But not in that one which is just wrapped in a Dynamic
>
>Dynamic@Graphics[{Text["TEXT", Dynamic[p]], AbsolutePointSize[10],
>   Point[Dynamic[q]]}, PlotRange -> 1]
>
>I expect that to work. Is it a bug ? Or if something has been changed,
>how can I now get back to previous (good) behaviour ?
>
>Thanks
>
>Nicolas

You can restore the old behavior like this:

Dynamic@Style[
   Graphics[{Text["TEXT", Dynamic[p]], AbsolutePointSize[10],
     Point[Dynamic[q]]}, PlotRange -> 1], Editable -> True]

Editing content inside a Dynamic is generally not desirable so
Dynamic will set Editable->False for it's contents.

Starting in version 8 graphics primitives can't be dragged when
Editable is False, earlier versions allowed dragging.

Style[Graphics[{AbsolutePointSize[100], Point[{0, 0}]}, PlotRange -> 1],
  Editable -> False]

Chris Hill
Wolfram Research