Scoping of pattern names
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg122714] Scoping of pattern names
- From: Rui <rui.rojo at gmail.com>
- Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 05:53:06 -0500 (EST)
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Reply-to: comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica at googlegroups.com
My goal: store a pattern in a variable for future use My problem: if the pattern I stored has a pattern name in it, (like i_/;i=8), and I use it later to build a new pattern in which I use the stored pattern twice, it thinks its the same name (i) My investigation: So far, couldn't find any way to scope pattern's names in a useful way. Module and With, refuse to scope a pattern name that's somewhere on the left hand side of a condition contained in them. Sure, I probably haven't tried much yet to build what I want with hard expression manipulation, but... I found my objective neat simple and useful... I would like to know if there's a proper way to do this, or to achieve my objective somehow else. And, I'd also enjoy knowing why such a resistance to scope pattern names...