Re: What gets put in ~/.Mathematica and why?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg122722] Re: What gets put in ~/.Mathematica and why?
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 05:54:33 -0500 (EST)

If it's Paclets that are at issue, then they go into a subdirectory of
your $UserBaseDirectory, which for *nix is ~/.Mathematica (as you've seen).

You can readily change the value for $UserBaseDirectory so as, for
example, to move it out from your user folder and hence avoid having it
backed up with your other user data files. You do so by setting the
desired value for the system environment variable MATHEMATICA_USERBASE.

or the corresponding page within the Mathematica Documentation Center.

On 11/6/11 5:57 AM, Mike Witt wrote:
> I just fooled around with CUDA on my system for the first time, and in
> the process I got the message "Loading from Wolfram Research server"
> and it appears that a *lot* of stuff was downloaded. As far as I can
> tell it went into my *home* directory, into /home/mike/.Mathematica/
> Paclets. My .Mathematica directory is now, by far, the biggest thing
> in my whole directory structure.
> I don't understand why this stuff didn't go into /usr/local/Wolfram.
> Now this huge amount of stuff, is going to get backed up every time I
> back up my personal directory.
> I'm curious if anyone can tell me what makes this (or any given
> information) go into .Mathematica in my directory vs the "system"
> place.
> If it makes a difference, I'm using Mathematica Home Edition on Fedora
> 14 (32 bit)
> -Mike

Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305