Manipulate Slider not Moving

Hi,
    I've been trying to get some of the basic slider examples working
in Mathematica 8, but when I click and drag the slider, it does not
move.  I've also tried downloading a CDF demonstration with a slider,
but that didn't move either.  Mathematica doesn't display any error
when I evaluate a Slider command, it just displays it.  I'm on Ubuntu
linux - any ideas?

thanks,
imran