Change $UserBaseDirectory

I already asked for help to change $UserBaseDirectory.
Maybe that's not the best solution to my problem and quiz's I should
elaborate a bit more.

I am using a new computer with a small primary SSD for the OS and
secondary hard disc to hold all the big info. benefiting from the fast
seek times a SSD has to offer.

Now the $UserBaseDirectory and $BaseDirectory are in C:\...
and my applications are elsewhere in D:\... or E:\....
Programs that use $UserBaseDirectory to establish the Path to a great
number of Packages are now failing.
My thought was to change the $UserBaseDirectory to remedy that, but
maybe there is a better way to do that.

Thanks again   EF