FindRoot with algebraic expressions

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg122808] FindRoot with algebraic expressions
  • From: Mirko <dashiell at>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 04:54:10 -0500 (EST)

I was wondering how FindRoot works when trying to use a algebraic initial point.

FindRoot[h[theta]==0,{theta[m], ???}]
where h is function of theta, for example:
(notice that this is for a given m).

What should I use as a starting point?

If I just use 1 as a starting point, it returns a mistake. However, I could use the solution of a first step approximation, but it doesn't work as well. Here is what I mean:

(where h1 is a different function, similar to h).
Plugging t0 into ??? returns a mistake as well. This is probably due to the format?
Although, even if I use

and plugging theta[m] into ??? gives me a mistake.