Math for Trendlines

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg122869] Math for Trendlines
  • From: binabik <pderop at>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 07:17:48 -0500 (EST)

At the moment, I'm working on a series of articles about trend lines
in Business Objects.
The first installment was easy enough :

The linear trendline didn't prove to be much of a problem.

For the next item however, I'm going to try get a Logarithmic
trendline into Business Objects. To be able to do that, I need to
perform Linear Regression, which I don't know anything about.

Now I need to calculate something which you can do easily in Excel

But I need to find the math to calculate this stuff by hand.

Can anyone give me a hand with figuring out that particular function ?

it would be most useful.

Kind regards,