Math for Trendlines

Hi,

At the moment, I'm working on a series of articles about trend lines
in Business Objects.
The first installment was easy enough :
http://pderop.blogspot.com/2011/11/trendlines-in-business-objects.html

The linear trendline didn't prove to be much of a problem.

For the next item however, I'm going to try get a Logarithmic
trendline into Business Objects. To be able to do that, I need to
perform Linear Regression, which I don't know anything about.

Now I need to calculate something which you can do easily in Excel

=index(linest(A1:A12;B1;B12);1)

But I need to find the math to calculate this stuff by hand.

Can anyone give me a hand with figuring out that particular function ?

it would be most useful.

Kind regards,

PDeRop