Bad Precision output for SphericaBesselY and BesselY
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg123069] Bad Precision output for SphericaBesselY and BesselY
- From: Antonio Alvaro Ranha Neves <aneves at gmail.com>
- Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 05:36:13 -0500 (EST)
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Reply-to: comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica at googlegroups.com
Recently I'm working with precision calculations of spherical functions. Example, let,
n = 150
x = SetPrecision[120.3, 100]
BesselY[n + 1/2, x] // Precision
BesselJ[n+ 1/2, x] // Precision
Yields 67.2708 and 96.9297 respectively. The two questions are:
1) Why does BesselY results in a worse than BesselJ?
2) How to redefine, BesselY to automatically output a result with a desired pecision?
Note: Simply using N[expr,90], does not yield a result of expr with 90 precision but maintains the same 67.2708.
Prev by Date:
Re: All previous notebooks open at startup
Next by Date:
How to get sub-list elements at certain position in a long list
Previous by thread:
Re: Elliptical gear calculations
Next by thread:
Re: Bad Precision output for SphericaBesselY and