how to project vertex along a tangent

Hi,

I want to project a vertex along its tangent and figure that the
vertex normal would be the tangent I would like to use to project the
vertex along it so that I can increase or decrease the vertices
distance from the origin.

The assumption is that the vertex I want to project is not set at the
origin. For, instance, if I were to select any vertex on a sphere, how
could I then project the vertex along its tangent.

Thanks for any help.

Rob.