Re: Forcing Certain Algebraic Forms With FullSimplify

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123193] Re: Forcing Certain Algebraic Forms With FullSimplify
  • From: Alexei Boulbitch <Alexei.Boulbitch at iee.lu>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 05:06:36 -0500 (EST)

Hi, Scott,

There is a package "Presentations" of David Park that enables one doing such things. There are several ways doing with the presentations of what you need. For example:

Needs["Presentations`Manipulations`"];

a b + g // FactorOut[a]

a (b + g/a)

Alexei

Hi,

I would like to have Mathematica generate an output for an equation

where a certain variable is isolated.

For instance, I have the equation "a*b+g". I would like "b" to not be

multiplied by anything in the result. Thus, I would prefer the form

"a(b+g/a)".

I have attempted to do this with FullSimplify and ComplexityFunction.

The complexity function (cf) evaluates the way I want it to, but for

some reason FullSimplify gives me the answer I don't want.

Sample code:

cf[e_] := 100 Count[e, Times[b, __], Infinity] + LeafCount[e] ;

cf[a b + g]

cf[a (b + g/a)]

FullSimplify[a b + g, ComplexityFunction -> cf]

Output:

105

9

a b + g