how to get string in sci. notation to a number?

I've been able to get a text file with data into a list of strings
of the following form:

{{"4.998865e+000", "9.564453e-006"},
  {"5.630450e+000", "9.194384e-006"},
  {"6.113276e+000", "8.134170e-006"}}

After many hours I've really gotten nowhere except that it's most
likely done with ToExpression which works fine with simple decimal
numbers in string form. Must I really split up the strings, suck out the
exponents, and then multiply them out to be able to use these numbers in
a ListPlot?
Any hints would be appreciated.
--
Sent from my plain desktop PC.