HoldForm and Sum

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg121769] HoldForm and Sum
  • From: dimitris <dimmechan at>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2011 03:07:48 -0400 (EDT)
Hell to all.

A (well-known) nice example of the use of HoldForm is:

Sum[(HoldForm[#1] & )[i], {i, 1, 10}]

(*output omited*)

I want to do the same with 1/i

Sum[(HoldForm[#1] & )[1/i], {i, 1, 10}]

Mathematica output is

My first question is how can I get the output in the form

My second query comes now. How can I combine HoldForm and Sum (or
anything else) in order to have the following output (unevaluated)?

that is, three positive terms after three negative and so on.

Thank you in advance for your response.