Re: Solving a simple equation
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg121853] Re: Solving a simple equation
- From: "Oleksandr Rasputinov" <oleksandr_rasputinov at hmamail.com>
- Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 04:00:02 -0400 (EDT)
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- References: <email@example.com>
On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 06:39:49 +0100, Daniel Kallfa=DF <eizdealer at web.de> wrote: > Hi there, I wonder why the following equation cannot be solved: > > \[Kappa] = 1.4 > \[CapitalTheta] = 10; > NSolve[Tan[\[Theta] degree] == > 2*Cot[\[Beta] degree]*(ma1^2*Sin[\[Beta] degree]^2 - 1)/( > ma1^2*(\[Kappa] + Cos[2 \[Beta] degree]) + 2), \[Beta]] > > It says: NSolve::nsmet: This system cannot be solved with the methods > available to NSolve. > > Is there something I'm missing? My Voyage 200 solves it without any > issues. > > Thanks, > Daniel > 1. \[Theta] is not defined (though \[CapitalTheta] = 10) 2. degree is not defined (should be Degree?) 3. ma1 is not defined Despite this, I still get solutions in versions 5.2, 7.0.1, and 8.0.1. That you don't, is probably due to stray definitions for the above quantities.