Re: count zeros in a number

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg121869] Re: count zeros in a number
  • From: DrMajorBob <btreat1 at austin.rr.com>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 04:02:55 -0400 (EDT)

This does the same thing as your code, essentially:

x = 24^24*55^55;
xd = IntegerDigits@x;
Length@xd - Length@IntegerDigits@FromDigits@Reverse@xd

55

and there's no reason for ToString to be faster than IntegerDigits, so...

Do[xd = IntegerDigits@x;
   Length@xd -
    Length@IntegerDigits@FromDigits@Reverse@xd, {1000}] // Timing

{0.029022, Null}

versus

Do[(xs = ToString[x];
    StringLength[xs] -
     StringLength[
      ToString[ToExpression[StringReverse[xs]]]]), {1000}] // Timing

{0.032321, Null}

Bobby

DrMajorBob at yahoo.com