Re: Interesting problem looking for a solution.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg122035] Re: Interesting problem looking for a solution.
  • From: "Dr. Wolfgang Hintze" <weh at snafu.de>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 04:26:56 -0400 (EDT)

"Church, Gary" <churchg at smccd.edu> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:j6rk1f$1nr$1 at smc.vnet.net...
> Hello,
>
> I have an (I think) interesting problem for you Mathematica gurus.
>
> I'm trying to create a worksheet for my students and want to be able
> to display the plot of a randomly generated function f[x], without
> them being able to access the expression which defines f; In other
> words, I don't want them to be able to evaluate f[x].
>
> The idea is that each student will get a different function f[x] and
> will see a different graph and they have to determine the expression
> which defines f. They then have to plot the function they think is f
> against the actual function f[x] and turn in the two plots (or the
> one plot with the two graphs.)
>
> Is this possible?
>
> Thanks much,
> Gary

Are you looking for something like this?
To begin with, define the list lf of possible functions.
Then select a definition for f[x] at random from the list, and finally
plot it.
Repeat the second step (In[219]) as often as you (and your students)
like.

In[221]:=
lf = {x^2, Sin[x], Exp[-x]};

In[219]:=
f[x_] = lf[[Random[Integer, {1, 2}]]];
Plot[f[x], {x, 0, 5}];

If you wish to keep the list secret your can hide it from being viewed
using the option inspector of the cell (right click > General
Properties > Cell Open set to false > Apply).

Hope this helps
Wolfgang