Re: Wolfram LinkLibrary and additional dll on

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg122045] Re: Wolfram LinkLibrary and additional dll on
  • From: Patrick Scheibe <pscheibe at trm.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 05:53:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 2011-10-08 at 05:33 -0400, Oleksandr Rasputinov wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 09:53:10 +0100, Patrick Scheibe
> <pscheibe at trm.uni-leipzig.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a package which has its number crunching algorithms in a C++
> > library which is connected to Mathematica through the LibraryLink.
> > Inside my algorithms I use the Intel Threading building blocks
> > [1] heavily. I have this library compiled for Linux, Mac OSX and Windows
> > and inside each LibraryResources directory, I distribute the tbb.{so |
> > dylib | dll}. Everythings works fine except for 2 Windows machines.
> > On those two machines the Intel compiler tools are not installed and
> > therefore, my lib has to rely on the
> > tbb.dll which is distributed in the same directory.

> > tbb.dll could not be found.
> >
> > 1. Using FindLibrary["tbb"] brings up the correct path inside my package.
> >
> > 2. Taking any arbitrarily chosen function from the tbb and register it
> > with, for instance
> >
> > LibraryFunctionLoad["tbb", "TBB_runtime_interface_version", {}, Integer];
> >
> > and *then* loading my package, works without error.
> >
> > 3. Trying to put this preload inside the WolframLibrary_initialize
> > function with something like
> >
> > #if defined(_WIN32) || defined(_WIN64)
> > 	tbbLib = LoadLibrary("tbb.dll");
> > 	if(tbbLib != NULL) {
> > 		tbbInitializeFunctionType version = (tbbInitializeFunctionType)
> > GetProcAddress(tbbLib,
> > 			"TBB_runtime_interface_version");
> > 		char msg[100];
> > 		sprintf(msg,"Die TBB version ist: %d\n",version());
> > 		lib->Message(msg);
> > 	}
> > #endif
> >
> > does not work. Maybe important at this point is, that there is no longer
> > an "error dialog" coming up. There
> > is now only an Mathematica error message saying, that the library
> > function could not be loaded. I assume my
> > dll is crashed silently. On the other
> > windows machines with the intel compiler installed everything works fine
> > and the version number is displayed
> > when the library is loaded first.
> >
> > 4. The dependency walker says that everything is fine with my library.
> > No wrong modules and the tbb comes from the directory
> > where my library is located
> >
> > 5. Trying to profile math.exe with the dependency walker and loading my
> > package does not bring any useful information.
> > In fact, I don't see any dlopen or whatsoever when I load my package.
> > This *suggests* that the tbb is not found in the first
> > place, but this is only a guess and I don't understand this.
> >

> > I'm not a Windows guy and I'm not a soldier in the dll-hell, so can
> > someone please give me a helping hand here or point me to
> > some useful documentation? Do I maybe need to create a special manifest
> > file? Does it make a difference whether a
> > dll is not loaded by Mathematica directly, but through another dll?
> >
> > Currently I'm out of ideas how to track this down.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Patrick

> [...]

Hi Oleksandr,

thanks for your mail. The problem was, that the dumb thing behind the
keyboard (aka me) was unable to recheck the documentation.
I read it once and thought I had grasped the importand details. Fail.
The LinkLibrary tutorial cries it out loudly here

LibraryLink/tutorial/InteractionWithMathematica#162865056

and confirms, that you were right. The problem were the different paths.
The hack, which a friend suggested, namly to preload the tbb.dll with a
first call to LibraryLoad *is* an actual solution.

Quote: "An alternative is to use LibraryLoad to load the dependent
libraries before loading your own library. LibraryLoad does not return a
function (unlike LibraryFunctionLoad), it merely exists to load
dependent libraries."

Thank you very much for your help.

Cheers
Patrick