Re: How to create this kind of list

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg122132] Re: How to create this kind of list
  • From: Helen Read <readhpr at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 07:05:31 -0400 (EDT)

On 10/15/2011 6:08 AM, Szymon Roziewski wrote:
> Hello there,
> I am thinking about creating such a list.
> I have 2 lists with the same number of elements.
> The idea is to create one list which was taken from these previous two ones
> in the following way:
> Take one element of the first list and one from another and put it into
> result list {{x1,y1},{x2,y2},...,{xn,yn}}.
> Input lists:
> A={x1,x2,...,xn}
> B={y1,y2,...,yn}
>
> All best,
> Szymon Roziewski

Here are two ways. (And BTW, it helps when you post here to include an
example that others can copy/paste into Mathematica instead of having
make up an example for you.) Anyway, let's make a couple of lists:

list1 = RandomInteger[10, 5]

list2 = RandomInteger[{15, 20}, 5]

One method: Use Riffle to make a new list alternating elements from
list1 and list2, then Partition into pairs, like so.

Partition[Riffle[list1, list2], 2]

Second method: Put list1 and list2 into matrix with list1 as the first
row and list2 as the second row, then Transpose the matrix.

Transpose[{list1, list2}]

--
Helen Read
University of Vermont