Low CPU usage

All,

Frequently when Mathematica is trying to evaluate an expression the CPU usage on my machine seems remarkably low; one core will be ~70% with the others only up to ~20%.  I'd expect one core at least to be maxed out. The hard disk isn't being hammered, RAM usage doesn't increase, so my question is: where is the bottle neck? I'm new to Mathematica so is this normal behaviour? I'm using 64 bit Win 7.

On a related note some of my expressions just don't seem to ever return, particularly those involving Sum[] - again, is this normal?

My experience with Mathematica so far has mostly been frustrating.  I can get it to do dead simple things, but anything vaguely complex it seems to choke on. Just getting it to replicate what I can do by hand seems an uphill struggle. Do many use it professionally or is it mainly used in education?

Regards,

Ben