Low CPU usage
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg122177] Low CPU usage
- From: Ben Gear <bjgear at googlemail.com>
- Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 07:42:19 -0400 (EDT)
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Reply-to: comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica at googlegroups.com
Frequently when Mathematica is trying to evaluate an expression the CPU usage on my machine seems remarkably low; one core will be ~70% with the others only up to ~20%. I'd expect one core at least to be maxed out. The hard disk isn't being hammered, RAM usage doesn't increase, so my question is: where is the bottle neck? I'm new to Mathematica so is this normal behaviour? I'm using 64 bit Win 7.
On a related note some of my expressions just don't seem to ever return, particularly those involving Sum - again, is this normal?
My experience with Mathematica so far has mostly been frustrating. I can get it to do dead simple things, but anything vaguely complex it seems to choke on. Just getting it to replicate what I can do by hand seems an uphill struggle. Do many use it professionally or is it mainly used in education?
Prev by Date:
Re: Limit of nested function
Next by Date:
Recuperate a graphic in a file using math.exe
Previous by thread:
Receive e-mails with Mathematica 8
Next by thread:
Re: Low CPU usage