Re: algebraic ReplaceAll?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg122274] Re: algebraic ReplaceAll?
- From: Dushan Mitrovich <dushanm at spinn.net>
- Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 06:23:15 -0400 (EDT)
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- References: <201110221630.p9MGU95e061858@agora.rdrop.com>
Don Taylor wrote: > In comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica you write: >> Is there a way to get ReplaceAll to actalgebraically, so it recognizes >> the negative of a replaced quantity as well as the positive? For >> example, this works >> In: x-w /. x-w->y >> Out: y >> but these don't >> In: -x+w /. x-w->y >> w-x /. x-w->y >> Out: w-x >> w-x > Years ago an article was published in Mathematica Journal > called Semantica. This was intended to make pattern matching > understand more of mathematics. > > https://www.google.com/search?q=mathematica+journal+semantica > > I do not know if this works with current versions of Mathematica > but I have wanted to see if this would be helpful. Thanks for the link - I'll check it out. - Dushan > All I ask is that I get no credit for any of this. > I hope something in this was helpful. > Please do not repost my name or email address. > My Email address is valid, I have been "dont@" for many years. > Thank you > >