Re: Integral points on elliptic curves

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg122343] Re: Integral points on elliptic curves
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 17:36:47 -0400 (EDT)

Simple things like adding points on elliptic curves and related matters
are easy to implement and have, in fact, already been implemented as
demonstrations, see, e.g.

http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/RationalPointsOnAnEllipticCurve/

http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/AdditionOfPointsOnAnEllipticCurveOverTheReals/
http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/AddingPointsOnAnEllipticCurve/

(I am thinking about adding something to this topic too). Implementing most of these algorithms is not very hard (there are much harder ones in Mathematica) but unless it is done by WRI they won't be efficient enough for anything but simple demonstrations. The question is, whether the subject is of sufficient general interest for WRI to devote serious resources to it.

Andrzej

On 25 Oct 2011, at 15:05, Artur wrote:

> Also method of adding torsion points can be use if we have two small
points 123, 519 we can find all other torsion points because order of
group of each elliptic curve can be determined independent method (I
have Mathematica procedure on adding points on elliptic curve). Of
course all integral points of elliptic curve are integer but not vice versa.