Re: Combine sqrts in denominator
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg122417] Re: Combine sqrts in denominator
- From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
- Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 05:33:21 -0400 (EDT)
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On 2011.10.27. 12:40, Tom D wrote: > I'm doing a calculation that results in terms of the form > > 1/ Sqrt[ -h + Sqrt[h^2 + r^2]] * 1/Sqrt[h + Sqrt[h^2 + r^2]] * (other > functions) > > One sees that this simplifies to (other functions)/r. > > It would helpful to make Mathematica perform this simplification, but > I have not been able to get Simplify or FullSimplify or anything > else to do it. > > How would I be able to do this? > Tell Mathematica that h and r are positive reals: Simplify[1/(Sqrt[-h + Sqrt[h^2 + r^2]] Sqrt[h + Sqrt[h^2 + r^2]]), h > 0 && r > 0] In Mathematica, saying that they're positive implies that they're real.