Assembling PDFs into a PDF document?

[I can set about learning how to do the following by myself, but if
anyone has an off-the-cuff answer or pointers to the starting point,
I'll be appreciative.]

Given a large number of single-page PDF image files, all in a single
folder (on a Mac), write a notebook that will build a single multipage
document containing some or all of these files, in accordance with
(and with page order determined by) a list of some or all of these
image file names.

For extra credit:  Have each page in the final document bookmarked by
the name of the corresponding file.

Thanks for any assistance.