Re: Difference table via DifferenceDelta[ ]. Why do I need two Table[ ] calls?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg121172] Re: Difference table via DifferenceDelta[ ]. Why do I need two Table[ ] calls?
  • From: "Alexey Popkov" <lehin.p at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 03:29:15 -0400 (EDT)

Christopher,

DifferenceDelta is an autoloaded function:

In[1]:= ClearAttributes[DifferenceDelta, {Protected, ReadProtected}]
            Definition[DifferenceDelta]
Out[2]= DifferenceDelta :=
 System`Dump`AutoLoad[Hold[DifferenceDelta], Hold[DifferenceDelta],
   Discrete`DifferenceDelta`] /; System`Dump`TestLoad

The need for Evaluate in your code is an inconsistency: such code should
work well without beating the HoldAll attributes of Table. And error
messages when your code is evaluated without Evaluate clearly show very bad
design of this function. I recommend do not rely on such functions.

As for why you have to evaluate your code twice, you may be interested in
this thread:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5649379/why-do-i-have-to-evaluate-this-twice

Alexey