Re: Assembling PDFs into a PDF document?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg121206] Re: Assembling PDFs into a PDF document?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2011 04:13:09 -0400 (EDT)

In article <j3u7q8$a7p$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Themis Matsoukas <tmatsoukas at me.com> wrote:

> Hi AES,
>
> This solution cheats because it uses latex to do the  real job. However, it
> does use mathematica to assemble the latex code. To use it:

Thanks very much -- but here's an even simpler way, using just Plain
TeX and TeXShop, without needing to bring Mathematica into the picture
at all.

%   To insert a centered PDF image in TeXShop

\pageinsert
   \null \vfill
      \centerline{
         \pdfximage
            width xx in {my_pdf_file_name.pdf}
         \pdfrefximage
      \pdflastximage }
   \vfill
\endinsert

where xx is the width in inches you want the PDF image to occupy on
the page.

Just write a TeX preamble that sets the various pdf page size,shape
and margin parameters, then insert a bunch of these \pageinserts, one
per file.

Better yet, macro-ize the above coding, then call the macro repeatedly
on the list of file names.

I've just checked this on a simple three-PDF example.  Each PDF file
in the three-page output document seems to have been captured with
full vector coding of the image preserved; each page can be
individually opened and edited in Illustrator if one wants to.

TeXShop and complete installation of TeX Live of course available as
MacTeX from TUG; be sure to join TUG to support this.