Re: Message window

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg121347] Re: Message window
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 04:19:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 07:27:51 -0400 (EDT), Themis Matsoukas wrote:
> When I run a notebook on my iMac it prints the error messages (mostly
> FindRoot::lstol:) on the Message window, but the same notebook on my
> laptop prints them on the main notebook. Under
> Preferences/Interface/UserInterface Messages, the setting is Print to
> Console.
>
> Is there some other preference setting for this?
>
> "8.0 for Mac OS X x86 (64-bit) (February 24, 2011)"
> both computers on Mac OS 10.7.1
>
> Thanks

There is an option to set this, but that option isn't reflected in the
Preferences dialog.  The thing that you were looking at is for another class of
error messages.  You can revert the option to its default value (i.e., printing
in notebooks) by pasting and evaluating the following:

CurrentValue[$FrontEnd, {MessageOptions,
   "KernelMessageAction"}] = Inherited

You should only need to do this once, although there is no harm to doing it
multiple times.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com