Re: How create new style sheet- Mathematica 8

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg121432] Re: How create new style sheet- Mathematica 8
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 04:38:13 -0400 (EDT)

In article <j4prqh$foj$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk> wrote:

> 1)   It would be nice to press a button and see the hierarchy of style
> sheets leading to the notebook style sheet - preferably with their full
> pathnames.

Amen!!  It's always helpful to understand the structure, the
hierarchy, the functional organization of some large and complex
mechanism you're using or are involved with -- even if you have no
intention of messing with individual components, or should actively
avoid attempting to mess with them.

> 2)   What happens when a style sheet is installed - is it just placed
> somewhere in the filestore?

Amen, again -- where I take this particular (and rather minor point)
as just one illustration of the generalization in Item 1

> 3)   Editing a style sheet seems too much like editing a notebook -
> which leads to confusion as to what can and cannot be done.

Actually, this may be a useful technique -- if you're specifically
told, "To modify what a stylesheet will do to all the cells having a
certain cell style, in notebooks that use this stylesheet,  **find the
cell in the stylesheet itself that has that style and hand-edit its
style**".  (Is that, more or less, how it works?  Seems to be . . .)