Re: How create new style sheet- Mathematica 8

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg121471] Re: How create new style sheet- Mathematica 8
  • From: Nguyen Van Falk <nvanfalk at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 05:48:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Sep 15, 1:46 am, John Fultz <jfu... at wolfram.com> wrote:
> Mathematica *will* list it in the menu.  But Mathematica's menus have to be
> refreshed.  Restarting Mathematica is the easiest way to do that.  Also, you can
> evaluate the following:
>
> MathLink`CallFrontEnd[FrontEnd`ResetMenusPacket[{Automatic, Automatic}]]
>
> The Install dialog invokes that command behind the scenes when installing
> stylesheets.  And, to answer another question which was raised...installing is
> basically just saving a copy of the style notebook in the right directory and
> refreshing the menus.  Nothing more exotic than that.
>
> FWIW, I absolutely agree that the user experience of working with stylesheets
> could be much improved, and have pushed hard to make that happen.  But there's
> always some give and take in the software development process...many other fine
> features and bug fixes have been implemented while this one has waited a bit.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> John Fultz
> jfu... at wolfram.com
> User Interface Group
> Wolfram Research, Inc.
>

> On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 05:13:24 -0400 (EDT), Murray Eisenberg wrote:
> > Re your 1): you give the stylesheet a name when you use the Install
> > button.
>
> > Nothing I know would prohibit renaming any (non-OS system) file in the
> > Finder, assuming you reset any permissions, etc., that might otherwise
> > inhibit doing that. But then Mathematica would not still list it on the
> > Style Sheet menu.
>
> > On 9/13/11 7:21 AM, AES wrote:

> >> Thanks to both posers for terse and useful recipe here.  Two brief
> >> extensions:
>
> >> 1)  I'm assuming one can give this new stylesheet a new name before
> >> (or while?) installing it?  Can one also rename it, using the Mac
> >> Finder, afterwards?
>
> >> 2)  Suppose you want to further edit this stylesheet later on.  Is the
> >> recommended procedure just to navigate to it (in the FInder, if you're
> >> on a Mac); open it (as a notebook); edit it; then re-install it?

John:

I hope this will become a higher priority in the future. I looked at
how I could implement CDF in my work and share interactive documents
with my coworkers, but the style sheet challenge has become a factor.
My employer, a Fortune 100 company, has standards for the format and
sharing of documentation. I have not been able to reformat the style
sheets to conform to our corporate standards so I stopped using CDF.

Thanks,

NVF