Making a function from the output of the Fit function.

Hello,

So I am trying to use the Fit ffunction to make another function.

So I want to do something like this:

f[x_] := Fit[ data, {1,x}, x]

But I want f[x] to be the function for the line, a+bx. But as written above
it does not have this result of course (I know it's because whatever gets
passed is used as an argument for the fit function, so passing a number
doesn't work, and passing a variable simply isn't what I want to do) So how
can I use the fit function to get
f[x_] :=  a+bx (where a and b are the appropriate constants. )

My jerry rigged solution is to just execute Fit[ data, {1,x}, x] then copy
and past the output to define a function. But this tacky solution just won't
do :)

Thank you for your help mathgroup.