namespaces

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg121526] namespaces
  • From: Alan <alan.isaac at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 04:13:06 -0400 (EDT)

Newbie question (by example):
How can I access KSubsets (which I believe is only in Combinatorica) without hiding the kernel's graph functions?  (I.e., I would like to be able access the Combinatorica functions *only* when I specify e.g. Combinatorica`KSubsets, so that  if e.g. I just use the short name Graph this refers to System`Graph.

So I don't want to say e.g.
Needs["Combinatorica`"]
because then I cannot just use Graph to refer to System`Graph.

Ideally, I'd like an equivalent to a name import from a Python package (e.g., ``from mypackage import myfunction``).

Short of that, I thought about reordering the $ContextPath, but I'm not sure this is a good idea (or how to do it correctly).

Hope that's clear enough.

Thanks,
Alan Isaac