Re: (x - 1) or (-1 + x)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg121542] Re: (x - 1) or (-1 + x)
  • From: DrMajorBob <btreat1 at austin.rr.com>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 07:04:55 -0400 (EDT)

First approach:

x - 1 // TraditionalForm

4 (1 - q) // TraditionalForm

If you do math with the results, you may have to apply TraditionalForm
again (and again) ((and again)).

(second) Use menu options Cell>Convert to>Traditional form or the key
sequence Shift-Command-T to format a cell in traditional form.

(third) I believe you can also set the default output (and input) format
to TraditionalForm, but I have no idea how... and I think you won't always
like the result. Documentation doesn't make it easy to find this, so I
haven't.

(fourth) You can use a style sheet that implements the third option.

Bobby

DrMajorBob at yahoo.com