Re: How create new style sheet- Mathematica 8

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg121570] Re: How create new style sheet- Mathematica 8
  • From: mathlawguy <chandler.seth at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 06:09:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Sep 14, 4:23 am, David Bailey <d... at removedbailey.co.uk> wrote:
> On 13/09/2011 12:28, John Fultz wrote:
>
> > I don't understand your first point.  What do you mean by "Browse" option? I
> > can't possibly think you mean that the file browsing dialog only shows 2 of n
> > notebooks in some given directory.
>
> > Yes, it is the case that notebooks with Saveable->False should be able to save,
> > and don't in 8.0.1.  But that won't affect stylesheets created using the method
> > I outlined.  And that bug will be fixed in a Mathematica incremental update
> > which will hopefully be available soon.
>
> I have never found creating style sheets easy - and I generally avoid
> them, despite their obvious value.
>
> It would be great if the process could be made more transparent. For
> example:
>
> 1)   It would be nice to press a button and see the hierarchy of style
> sheets leading to the notebook style sheet - preferably with their full
> pathnames.
>
> 2)   What happens when a style sheet is installed - is it just placed
> somewhere in the filestore?
>
> 3)   Editing a style sheet seems too much like editing a notebook -
> which leads to confusion as to what can and cannot be done.
>
> 4)   If you end up with an edited style sheet when you close the
> associated file (or Mathematica), I think it should tell you and ask you
> what you want to do - just like you do not lose an edited notebook
> without pressing "Don't Save".
>
> This is one area where I sense WRI developers have put enormous effort,
> but it never seems easy to use. Maybe a general, open discussion at the
> conference would help.
>
> David Baileyhttp://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk

I agree that editing stylesheets is too difficult and not well
documented. I agree that discussion at the Oct. Conference might be
one of many good ways to provide feedback and ideas. Perhaps we might
consider video documentation since traditional documentation on front
end stuff often does not seem optimal to me.